The Township of Emo was settled in the early 1880’s by pioneers who arrived to free homesteads. The settlers were confronted by many hardships and hard work in the undomesticated country. The river was the main route of transportation, until the CNR lines were built in the early 1900’s.
Emo’s three townships – Carpenter, Lash and Aylsworth, each surveyed in the late 1800’s to make up Emo as it is known today. A meeting of the electors was held on October 7, 1899 to nominate the first Reeve and four Councillors. On November 13, 1899, the council hired their first Clerk-Treasurer.
Alex Luttrell, the first Reeve, named the Village of Emo after his birth place in Ireland.